If you’ve been around here for awhile, it’s no surprise to you that I am 100% one of those girls who starts baking with pumpkin in August and busts out my boots and flannel at the first sign of cooler temps and a frosty bite in the air. I don’t know what it is about this time of the year, whether it’s back-to-school or the beginning of holiday season, but I genuinely look forward to it, even though I know a bitter cold winter awaits us on the other side of this transitional season.
What can I say, I love pumpkin everything. I made some delicious Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Pancakes for brunch a couple weeks ago, and as soon as I find where I put the recipe, I will be sharing those with you, too. They were such a good pancake and I was finally able to pull off a perfectly-textured pancake from scratch. No shame here, since going gluten-free and having one of my first ever cooking experiences with a gluten-free recipe turn out awful (coconut flour pancakes ugh), pancakes have been one of the few things I use a store-bought mix for. I love Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Pancake Mix- highly recommend if you’re in a pinch or just for sheer convenience. Add a little cinnamon and vanilla and you. are. set.
But we’re not here to talk about pancakes, are we? I got sidetracked… shocking, right? We are here to talk about THESE heavenly Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Chip Blondies…
These Blondies are the perfect way to usher in the changing of the leaves… warmly spiced, dense and chewy, studded with chocolate chips… comfort food at it’s finest, especially when you throw in the pumpkin. These tempting little bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, and have no refined sugar. You can indulge without the guilt and not worry as much about fall comfort food equating to socking on 20 pounds while your body prepares for “hibernation.” 🙂
Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Chip Blondies
Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Chip Blondies
1 1/3 C almond butter
1 1/3 C coconut sugar
1/2 C butter-flavored coconut oil
1 1/3 C canned pumpkin
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 1/2 C almond flour
1/4 C coconut flour
1/4 C tapioca four or arrowroot flour
2 C DF chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13″ pan generously with nonstick coconut oil spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the almond butter, coconut sugar, coconut oil, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla till smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, sea salt, almond flour, coconut flour, and tapioca/arrowroot flour.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stopping to scrape the bowl of the mixer a couple times, until well-combined. Add 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips and mix once last time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing with a spatula. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown along the edges and set in the middle. A toothpick should come out mostly clean when inserted in the middle.
- Let cool completely before serving. Makes 24 bars.
I have to say, I am definitely enjoying all of the things I have learned and regularly put to use in my gluten-free baking. Many of my friends and family can no longer tell the difference, and I take great pride in that. If you are new on this journey- don’t give up yet! Trial and error and a little bit of experimentation will take you a long way. I have seen this quote over and over this week and I love it- “Be brave enough to suck at something new.” I can’t give credit because I have no idea who said it, but they are a wise person.
What’s your favorite fall baking endeavor? I am looking forward to lots of new recipes this year, now that I am a bit more comfortable with adapting recipes to make them better suit my personal gluten-free tastes, and I am excited to share them with you, too. Let me know if you have any requests since fall is the season of baking, at least for me… 🙂 Find me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram using the icon links at the top of my homepage and tell me what you’d like to see more of!
I will be back soon with some perfect football food… since fall also equals football! Savory Waffle Pulled Pork Sliders with Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw… omg, you guys… To. Die. For. Can’t wait!