Spring is officially one week from today… yet here we are, smack dab in the middle of a blizzard warning so bad that they have closed the schools and many places of business are shut down, as well. You guys, this is pretty much unheard of in Wyoming, nevertheless half the state. It is absolutely nuts. The snow is coming down, the wind is howling and creating snow drifts that me and my kids could legitimately get lost in, and everything is icing over. It feels a little bit like “The Day After Tomorrow” with Jake Gyllenhall and Dennis Quaid. Our door is completely ice on the front… I am quite happy to be holed up in my basement, snuggled with a blanket, and listening to the kids play.
Since we are off again tomorrow – yes, it is that bad that they preemptively closed ahead of the game- I feel like it’s a good time to share these muffins. Whether you are snowed in and dreaming of Spring or just looking for a delicious brunch to look forward to this weekend, these Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins are sooo yummy. Tender and moist and packed with fruity flavor, these muffins are nutritious, simple to make, and a crowd-pleaser all around.
While this recipe only lists and shows blueberries as the banana’s partner in crime, I highly recommend chocolate chips, as well, or even better, BOTH. I added a handful of chocolate chips to the last of the blueberry batter and Oh.My.God… Blueberry and chocolate is a match made in heaven. I already knew this, but these muffins reaffirmed my belief with great conviction.
At this point, I feel I should really just start referring to my magical gluten-free flour combination as the Paleo Baking Trifecta- if you’re a regular reader, you know by now that this refers to almond, coconut, and tapioca flour. All three are again present and accounted for in this recipe, and if I haven’t convinced you yet, by all means PLEASE test my theory on these muffins. I know that the longer I go without gluten, the more gluten-free baked goods seem “normal” to me, but I promise you… and my family and friends can attest, too… this combination is the closest I have found to mimicking the texture of regular gluten-full baking. Trust me, please? It is 157% worth having to buy individual bags of flour instead of the premixed gluten-free blends from the store.
Paleo Banana Blueberry Muffins
Paleo Banana Blueberry Muffins
- 2 C almond flour
- 1 1/2 C tapioca flour
- 2/3 C coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2/3 C pure maple syrup
- 1/2 C coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs
- 2 C fresh blueberries
- DF Chocolate Chips (optional but highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin wells with liners or spray generously with nonstick coconut cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients except for the blueberries and the chocolate chips, if using, to a large blender or food processor. Pulse until completely mixed and no dry streaks remain. Stir in the blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill muffin wells 2/3 full with batter. Top with extra blueberries and/or chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, the carefully remove muffins to the counter to finish cooling. These are very, very soft immediately from the oven but firm up to be the perfect consistency after a couple hours. We enjoyed them both ways.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
I have been grazing on these all week for breakfast, snacks, and a couple nights after dinner. Give the blueberry and chocolate combination a whirl and trust me on the Paleo Baking Trifecta flour trio. You won’t be disappointed. Let me know how it goes! Find me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram.
If you’re here in my neck of the woods, stay warm, stay dry, and if at all possible, just stay inside. And bake. Always bake. 🙂 xoxo