In case you haven’t noticed yet, I am pretty much always looking for an excuse to get in the kitchen and bake. So when one of my absolute favorite food bloggers offers up a gluten-free recipe, you better believe that I took that as a personal invitation to get my ass in the kitchen and turn on the oven.
Joy the Baker has been my favorite food blogger since I discovered food blogs. Her recipes are, without fail, delicious and always a perfect balance of simple yet elegant. She is funny and humble and inspiring and well… #goals. I own all of her cookbooks, and one of my personal goals is to go back through all my favorites and try to find gluten-free variations. I am beginning to have more faith in my ability to actually accomplish this. 🙂 Thanks for being on this journey of exploration with me!
Anyways, I saw Almond Flour Strawberry Crumble Bars waiting in my inbox like a heaven-sent love letter and I literally could not contain my excitement. I had everything on hand to make these and thought to myself how well super thinly-sliced apple would pair with the strawberry jam and the subtle warmth of cinnamon in the crumble. Apart from the addition of apple, I did not deviate much.
Gluten-free, dairy-free option, whole grains, fruit, and no refined sugar… these bars are honestly amazing and healthy and practically guilt-free. I could eat these every day and not grow tired of them. Perfect for dessert, snacks, or honestly even breakfast… believe me when I say you may want to double the recipe and put the coffee on.
(Side note: I enjoyed these bars so much that I decided to try a blueberry preserve variation this weekend in a cupcake pan. Instead of slicing the apples, I diced them. One tablespoon of crumble pressed into the cupcake liner, topped with 1/2 teaspoon blueberry preserves, followed by diced apples and one more tablespoon of the crumble mixture. They are perfect and adorable… once they are out of the wrappers, they almost look like sandwich cookies! However, I still like the strawberry jam better.)
Strawberry Apple Crumble Bars
Strawberry Apple Crumble Bars (adapted from Joy the Baker)
1 large egg
1/3 C real maple syrup
1/2 C certified GF old-fashioned oats
2 C almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinammon
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1/4 melted butter -OR- coconut oil
3/4 C strawberry jam
1 apple, any kind, peeled and sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8″ round baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, if you have a tart pan, it will work beautifully for this! That is what I used.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and the maple syrup. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the maple syrup and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing well to combine.
- Add in the melted butter or coconut oil and mix well.
- Press 1/2 the crumble mixture into your prepared pan. Fingers work best here. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the crumble, leaving a small border around the edges. Top with apple slices, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 of crumble mixture on top, pressing lightly as you go.
- Bake for 35-37 minutes or until the top is browned and the filling has started to bubble. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for a couple hours, then chill in the refrigerator. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Store covered in refrigerator.
These bars are just the right amount of sweetness, a hint of nuttiness, and the fruit really shines. Every ingredient compliments the others. I promise you, you are going to love these. They are so simple, too. Honestly, one of my new favorite desserts. Humble and unassuming but sure to impress. Happy baking, friends!